The Bow-Tied Blogger

The life and adventures of one soldier and his various journeys.

  Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Death of a Cousin

Well, for a while I knew one of my cousins was dying of colon cancer, and I just learned that my second cousin, once removed, Frank Duncan Macpherson Strachan III died on Feburary 15.

I don't entirely know how I feel. Growing up, I met Duncna on occasion, but only got to know him and his family after I reconciled with my father in late 2000. Around that same time, Duncan's mother (and my surrogate grandmother), Rose Patricia Strachan nee Forsyth, died of cancer at age 85.

What is important is how I remember Duncan. He was funny and eccentric, as typical of many prominent uptown families. He had a huge WWII collection and in fact donated a tank to the D Day Museum in New Orleans. He also deeply loved New Orleans and worked heavily to restore it and to revive the middle class, while so many would want to make New Orleans a sanctuary for the welafare parasites.

I knew he was dying since Thanksgiving, so it is not too great a shock and to an extent I am fairly unphased by death. When my grandmother died, my cousin and I were making a death pool of the remaining family (I picked my grandfather, my Uncle Buck, my mother, and my Uncle Joe in that order..so far my grandfather died, and Uncle Buck is in poor health, plus my mother is chain smoking again), and maybe that is my coping mechanism, along with a joke about how weddings and funerals are linked in my mother's family...I made a joke that when Karen dumped me, Uncle Buck will live soem more.

I guess I am morbid and probably a touch disturbing in my approach to death. For now, requiest in pacem Duncan.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger AS said...

I am sorry for your loss...it's not easy I'm still dealing with my mothers passing.

2/21/2007 06:47:00 AM  
Blogger Thomas Forsyth said...

Thank you. It's much easier with a cousin, but I just feel bad for his wife and kids.

I don't know how my mother's passing will take me as I have so many issues with her. It will get better for you in time.

2/21/2007 07:55:00 PM  
Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! If you need to talk... I'll be there!

2/21/2007 08:43:00 PM  
Blogger Thomas Forsyth said...

Thank you. You are truly wonderful.

2/22/2007 05:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Copyright 2007 Thomas forsyth. I welcome comments