The Bow-Tied Blogger

The life and adventures of one soldier and his various journeys.

  Sunday, June 03, 2007

Today is World Capitalism Day.

What is that, you ask?

Most simply put, it is a day to celebrate capitalism :)

In fact, the Celebrate Capitalism website discusses various ways to celebrate capitalism, including learning just what capitalism is, and that it's not just for the rich.

In one part is a study of seven philosophers that are credited for capitalism, first being Aristotle, but also Adam Smith, John Locke, Thomas Jefferson, Ayn Rand, Frederic Bastiat, and Ludwig von Mises, an interesting mix of philosophers, economists, and a statesman.

The PRODOS Institute also offers information on celebrating capitalism, along with their flag, SARA.

In other news, I can offer a book review to go along with today:

The Early Ayn Rand: Revised Edition: A Selection From Her Unpublished Fiction

This book is special to me not just for who wrote it, but who gave it to me. For those of you who read a past post, I am in a relationship with Sara with no H, and she introduced herself to me by giving me this book. Little did I know how she felt about me fully, but I only wished I started chatting with her sooner, as her paypal has her email address, but I am not always as good at doing the obvious. This book I will treasure just because she gave it to me <3

Now, the stories inside are also interesting. They show a trend in Ayn Rand's writing from the late 20s to the late 30s. Her first one is about a woman who ends a marriage and lives by herself in seclusion, which is pretty radical a concept in the 20s. The second one is about a reporter who kidnaps a debutante to make it into a story only to have a real gangster take over, but the kidnapped girl outsmarts everyone involved.

The next ones involve her story We the Living, including an excerpt and a love triangle that is later refashioned in We the Living. In addition to two plays is a story that is similar to The Fountainhead in characters as well as the latter stories which are parts of the Fountainhead that wound up on the cutting room floor.

Overall, this is an excellent book if you like Ayn Rand's writing,a s it gives insight into her evolution as a writer and it's fun to read the "director's cut" of The Fountainhead :)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Copyright 2007 Thomas forsyth. I welcome comments