The Bow-Tied Blogger

The life and adventures of one soldier and his various journeys.

  Sunday, May 06, 2007

Today is a day of many events. First it is Lag Ba'Omer along with the Salute to Israel Parade in NYC (a pity I am back in Texas already). In addition, France has just elected Sarkozy who bears a resemblance to Charles Krauthammer, just like Jacques Chirac bears a resembalnce to Ehud Ohlmert

Check for yourself

Now for a much overdue review:

Converting to Judaism - Choosing to Be Chosen : Personal Stories (Paperback)

This was a great book, to say the least. I loved the stories each convert told. Some stories were not as relevant to me, while others spoke to me, especially Arthur's, as I was at one time a fairly devout Catholic, before that oatmeal-rich foudnation collapsed.

Each story gives a detailed profile of each convert as well as one woman who didn't convert, though not everyone is called. It also remidns me of stumbling blocks people, especially Christians would have if converting while their old belief system is still intact. For me, it was no problem as I for one hate Christmas and have since I was 12, and Easter is neither here nor there, though the progroms caused by Easter week is very unsettling.

On the downside I did not learn too much new information, though this is a good sign as I am learning the basics of Judaism and may be able to start on Intermeidate and eventually advanced topics. I definitely recommend this book to proselytes like myself and others with questiosn about why someone would want to convert.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger BagelUndertheCouch said...

i don't know how much chirac would appreciate being physically compared to une israelien fasciste, or un couchon juif. both oxymoronic, to be sure. much like the idea of french war victories...

5/06/2007 10:04:00 PM  
Blogger Lion of Zion said...

have you seen abraham carmel's autobiography? he was an anglican priest who became a catholic priest before converting to judaism

5/07/2007 12:59:00 AM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

I still wish I could get Easter baskets every year; I think we discussed this once.

5/07/2007 06:25:00 PM  
Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

Sarkozy sounds much better than Chirac... but he'll need the Parliament's support in order to implement any change. The question is, will he be able to withstand the pressure from his opponents, and possibly, from the rest of the EU?

5/08/2007 05:23:00 PM  
Blogger Thomas Forsyth said...

Daily Bagel> Well, Chirac is himself a vichy weasel so I doubt he'd take offense.

Ari> I'll have to check out Abraham Carmel. I find that series of conversions very interesting.

Sara> Well, I could assemble a Pesach basket with kosher for Passover goodies, though I guess you could bait missionaries to give you stuff and then tell them "psyche!!" :)

Irina> I am hopeful for Sarkozy, and he is of good stock. His father of a minor Hungairan aristocratic line and his mother having French and Sephardic descent (her maiden name was Mallah).

It will be interesting to see what else occurs for France's legislature and if it will work with or against Sarkozy. The EU may not be as big a block with Merkel's Germany as well as Dutch, Danish, British, and Irish governments.

5/08/2007 08:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

11/10/2008 12:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Copyright 2007 Thomas forsyth. I welcome comments